Baffling extension module compile problem

Greg Ewing see at my.signature
Wed May 9 22:50:23 EDT 2001

I have a REALLY screwy problem.

I'm working on a C extension module. If I issue
my 'make' command from the shell, everything
is fine.

But if I use the 'make' command in Emacs, the
resulting module causes a seg fault when I
import it!

Exactly the same compile/link commands are being
executed in both cases, and proceed without error.
My LD_LIBRARY_PATH is the same in both environments
as far as I can tell.

Examining the core file after the crash reveals
that somehow Py_InitModule4 is being called with
junk for the first argument (i.e. the module name).

This is the only part of the code that is executed
on import:

static PyMethodDef LSInter_methods[] = {
  {"fit",	LSInter_fit,	METH_VARARGS},
  {NULL,	NULL}
};

DL_EXPORT(void)
initLSInter()
{
  PyObject *m, *d;
  m = Py_InitModule("LSInter", LSInter_methods);
  d = PyModule_GetDict(m);
}

Does anyone have any idea what sort of weird
juju is going on?

Christchurch, New Zealand
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg