client side scripting

Dave Kuhlman dkuhlman at rexx.com
Sun May 20 15:10:28 EDT 2001

Alex Martelli <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote:

[snip]

> It's possible with reasonably recent versions of IE *IF* the client
> machine has Python installed (with ActivePython or win32all) as
> ActiveScript.  AFAIK, Netscape, differently from Microsoft, doesn't
> support multiple alternative clientside script languages -- Javascript
> is all you get (I hope this isn't so any more in Mozilla, but I think
> it still is).  In any case, ARE you willing to rely on the end-user
> having properly installed whatever add-ons or plug-ins they need?
>

>> scripting). Users should be able to use their own webbrowsers and
>
> Oh, they can, IF those web-browser have a halfway-decent architecture
> (including "of course" the ability to specify multiple scripting languages).
>
> It's a pity that, so far, generally-maligned Microsoft seems to be the
> only one to have designed their browser halfway-decently in this sense.

Looking to the future (and this is something that makes me bite my
tongue each time I have something bad to say about Microsoft), the
MS .Net strategy for Web services and all supports multiple
languages.  My understanding is that in that strategy, if it goes
somewhere, you will be able to write .Net apps and services in a
variety of languages in addition to C#.  Python will be one of
those languages and Python will even be usable within Visual Studio
7.0, due to the work by ActiveState.

That is in sharp contrast to the "one language only" attitude in
the Java camp.

This is relevant for server-side stuff of course.

[snip]

--
Dave Kuhlman
dkuhlman at rexx.com