How can I work with pointers?

Neil Hodgson nhodgson at bigpond.net.au
Wed May 9 20:56:02 EDT 2001

Darrell:

> My problem is how to recover the struct pointer cds.
> How do I follow the pointer?
> The struct module doesn't seem to provide this.

   The calldll module available from
http://www.nightmare.com/software.html
   can be used for this sort of thing although it will lead to some low
level coding.

   Another approach would to write a small extension in C to handle this and
return the string being sent within the message. The struct module is
designed to be safe and allowing pointer following could lead to crashes. My
personal belief is that there should be low level pointer access for both
data and calls in the standard Python library.

   WM_COPYDATA support would also be a reasonable addition to the Win32
extension library - just looked and doesn't appear to be there currently.

   Neil