urllib's performance

Mikhail Sobolev mss at transas.com
Sun May 13 14:38:47 EDT 2001

In article <9dbmuo$978$1 at harvester.transas.com>,
Michael Sobolev <mss at transas.com> wrote:
>Two days ago I tried to create a small script that should help me to estimate a
>performance of a web system we created.  But I found that using the python
>script does not allow to get as many requests as I was able to with plain shell
>with wget.  It was a little bit surprising as I thought that python's
>performance is rather good.  Maybe I am just missing something.  I am using
>python 1.5.2 and the urllib that comes with it.

Just to give a little bit more background.  I have a server program that can
create a number of working threads.  What I tried to look at is how the number
of working threads and the number of concurrent clients correlate.  So my
script looked like:

    for thread_no in range (1, 21): # as 20 seems to be a reasonable limit as
                                    # each working thread on server uses a
                                    # significant amount of memory
        for client_no in range (1, 21): # maybe 20 is not sufficient, but let's
                                        # have a look on that many concurrent
                                        # clients
            for client in range (1, client_no+1):
                thread.start_new (client_proc, args)

            wait_for_threads_to_finish ()

And the problem is that the request rate of each client_proc is not sufficient.

Thank you in advance,

--
Misha