Distributed computing in Python - Callback howto ?

Sasa Zivkov sasha at spuni.is
Sat May 26 11:54:32 EDT 2001

Hi,

What options one have for distributed computing in Python ?

I would like to do something like:

def call_me_back():
    print "callback"

s = ServerOnAnotherMachine("hostname.domainname")
s.RunLongRunningProcess(call_me_back)

ServerOnAnotherMachine is a class that represents connection to a server.
RunLongRunningProcess is a method implemented on server.  What I want
is to pass a callable object to the long running process so it can
notify my client code about the progress.

I have tried XML-RPC but it appears not to support callbacks.
Maybe SOAP or Corba or something else ?

-- Sasa