gah! I hate the new string syntax

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Fri Mar 9 22:51:54 EST 2001

On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 06:13:20PM -0800, John W. Baxter wrote:

> And at least one of the US Clipper ships finished a New York to San
> Fransicso voyage under the command of the Captain's widow.  The captain
> died en route.  The wife was aboard as navigator (being better at the
> task than the mate), and the crew made it clear that things would go
> much better with her in command than with the mate in command.  Sorry, I
> don't have a reference handy (and the right Google search for this one
> could be a bit tricky to create).

Not at all:

http://www.propellerclubhq.com/wpc/marys.htm

Recipe: type in "clipper captain wife navigator" and click on "I'm Feeling
Lucky".

At least, the story is so similar that I assume it's the same one :)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>
The Python Software Foundation: http://www.python.org/psf.html