This math scares me

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Thu Mar 15 13:18:30 EST 2001

In article <Iu7s6.897$lz1.80703 at ruti.visi.com>,
Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com> wrote:

>If that's good enough for you, then go ahead and use FP.
>
>But, the people who actually write financial SW for a living seem to
>think it's not good enough.  You would have to talk to one of them to
>find out the exact situations where FP proved insufficient.  But, I
>don't think anybody would have gone to the trouble of implimenting BCD
>math just for the fun of it.  OTOH, I guess I know people who would do
>stuff like that just for fun.

Don't forget, most of these arguments took place pre-754.  It might be
interesting to revisit the whole discussion from scratch in light of the
advances in computing power etc.

Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het Pythonista   http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

"The overexamined life sure is boring."  --Loyal Mini Onion