Why not Tcl/Tk?

Hamish Lawson hamish_lawson at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 27 11:49:04 EST 2001

After using Tcl on a project for a year, I found its biggest flaw to be
its relative lack of support for high-level data structures. While Tcl
does have an associative-array structure, it is hard work to make
nested structures using it.

In addition I missed decent OO support. There is an add-on OO package
for Tcl; but because it's not a standard part of Tcl, not many other
Tcl libraries make use of it. Compare this with Python, where f.read()
could be reading from any kind of object that supports the read
protocol - a disk file, a pipe to a process, an in-memory file, a
compressed file, a URL connection, or a user-defined object.

Hamish Lawson