MySQL-python build griefs

Mark Wilson m.wilson at bibliocraft.com
Mon Mar 5 19:16:42 EST 2001

Will,

this may well have _nothing_ to do with your problem however, I experienced
similar grief with distutils on a similar box. In my case it turned out I'd
uploaded my Python/Include directory to the server using binary ftp transfer
(from a Windows machine). Duhhhhhh. All worked fine once I realised my mistake,
but I was getting similar kinds of errors.

Will Ware:
>I'm trying to build MySQL-python on a Red Hat 6.2 box. In order
>not to confuse the Red Hat installation, which depends heavily
>on Python, I've left Python at 1.5.2. I have Distutils 1.0.1
>installed. The version of MySQL-python is 0.3.0. To get things
>to work at all, I needed to build my own copy of Python-1.5.2/*
>to populate the /usr/include/python1.5 tree, running "configure"
>to produce a suitable "config.h". Now I'm getting an error on
>"python setup.py build" that looks like this:
> [snip]
>TypeError: illegal argument type for built-in operation
>
>Am I using the wrong color duct tape here? Or just not enough
>bubblegum?

Maybe Ascii coloured duct tape is what you need?

Bestoluck

Mark