Urgent Question about Python licensing

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Sat Mar 10 05:06:49 EST 2001

On Sat, Mar 10, 2001 at 03:10:34AM -0600, Chris Watson wrote:

> > 2. Is it currently so, or will Python end up with, some license that
> > requires that python scripts be covered by the GPL?

> That would be when Python starts shipping under something like a GPL+. And
> the day that happens I for one will drop Python like a bad habbit. I would
> prefer a BSD or BSD style license. But im sure im out-voted on that.

Yes -- but only because the CNRI has the most say over the Python licence,
currently. They want (and need) a licence that they can feel safe with, that
they can consider binding. The current Python licence is actually very close
to the BSD style licence, except for the 'choice of law' licence that is
causing the GPL incompatibility.

> GNU = Gnu's Non-portable & Unstable
> irc.openprojects.net #FreeBSD -Join the revolution!

That's kinda unfair. It's also not true. The GNU project delivered a lot of
good software. Have you noticed that FreeBSD does not come with its own
compiler, but with the GNU compiler instead ? How can you claim it's
non-portable if gcc is the most portable compiler out there ? Notice that
GNU Mailman, the mailing list software that runs this and many other
mailinglists, is written in Python, and so is almost as portable as is
Python ? And it's GNU!

Religious-war-ly y'rs,
--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>