I come to praise .join, not to bury it...

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at home.com
Tue Mar 6 20:31:51 EST 2001

Aesthetes are a different kind of professional, I'm a design theorist, those
are art wh#$3s ;) .  Sorry, I dislike the connotations of "aesthete" (too
turn of the last century eclecticism for me), so I use aesthetic (which, I
feel, has a much nicer resonance with "ascetic", which is closer to my sense
of beauty).

I have no problem with the semantics of the string having methods.  I asked
for lists and tuples to have a consistent and complete set of methods 2 or 3
years ago if I'm recalling correctly.  Healing the class/type split is
something I would like to live to see (if the PSU doesn't get me first).

I'll have to give that Python thing a try.  Can you recommend any good books
for someone who's been stuck in a backwater language for the last 6 years?
Isn't that Python thing slow though?  I heard they don't even have static
type declarations and they don't support polymorphic function signature
dispatches.

"," . join( ) doesn't help much, as there's no graphical connection drawn
between the two items, so you lose the correspondence of the . character to
"member of" (i.e. the glyph no longer represents the concept, but must be
interpreted at a semantic level to make the construct clear).

As I mentioned, I don't expect this to change, just wanted to point out that
there is a legitimate complaint from an aesthetic standpoint.

Enjoy,
Mike