newbe how to read in a string?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 23 12:31:55 EST 2001

"Chris Gonnerman" <chris.gonnerman at usa.net> wrote in message
    [snip]
>     import string
>     seq = string.split(a, ",")
>     for i in range(1, len(seq)): # this skips the 0 index,
>         seq[i] = float(seq)      # which needs to stay a string.
>
> In Python 2.0 the code might be shorter, using string methods and list
> comprehension, but I personally prefer the "old way" myself.

The 'old way' would be
    seq = map(float, string.split(a, ','))
and it still works fine of course, though I'd rather spell it
    seq = map(float, ','.split(a))

List comprehensions are great, but when you DO want to get
map's primary job (applying an already-existing function
to parameter sequences) map is still best (with list
comprehension, you can avoid using _lambda_ just in order
to be able to use map -- I think eschewing lambda makes
your code clearer, but maybe that's just me).

Alex