the demise of 'from foo import * and its implications?

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Fri Mar 2 19:04:28 EST 2001

In article <mailman.983572744.12626.python-list at python.org>,
Sean 'Shaleh' Perry <shaleh at valinux.com> wrote:
>On 02-Mar-2001 Tim Peters wrote:
>>
>> What gave you the idea that "import *" is going away?
>
>/me needs to take a week off apparently.  Either that or stop believing
>anything he reads.

More precisely, you should pay attention to what you're reading.
Because of the new nested scopes, using import * in a class or function
can fail; however, it is *documented* to fail.  On the gripping hand,
some scaffolding has been added so that import * will fail in fewer
cases, and in any event nested scopes are optional in 2.1.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

Nostalgia just ain't what it used to be