Good Editor? (What's the big deal with syntax colouring?)

Steve Lamb grey at despair.rpglink.com
Fri Mar 23 22:38:55 EST 2001

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001 12:10:59 -0800, John Schmitt <jschmitt at vmlabs.com> wrote:
>Why do people want syntax colouring?  I can't stand it.

    Trust me, you'd understand the first time in a fit of coding you left a
quote unclosed somewhere and all of a sudden the first half of your code and
the second half of your code don't match, color-wise, at all and it is divided
on that line, right there, at that character.

    Either that or the 2nd half of your code is all "String" color and you
know where it is as well.

    1/3rd the benefit of syntax highlighting is added context to know what is
what, the other 2/3rds is pure bug highlighting before you're even out of the
code at the syntax level.