Performance when working directory is slow network drive

Mark Hadfield m.hadfield at niwa.cri.nz
Thu Mar 1 16:01:28 EST 2001

"Sean Reifschneider" <jafo at tummy.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 02:45:25PM +1300, Mark Hadfield wrote:
> >If the working directory is on one of my hard drives the elapsed times is
> >approx 0.1 seconds; if I then cd to a slow network drive (a Samba share
to a
> >Unix machine that mounts another machine's disks via NFS!) it takes 2
> >seconds.
>
> Have you tried removing the current directory from sys.path?  That'd be
> the one that's empty.

Yes, that's it! Thank you.

Now only two things puzzle me:

1. Why having the current directory in the search path affects the import
time for the os module much more than it does for other modules I tested
(like string). Is this because os is a package?

2. Why the number of empty-string entries at the head of sys.path varies
between 0 and 2 on my system depending on how the interpreter is invoked and
what I ate for breakfast (or something).

--
Mark Hadfield
m.hadfield at niwa.cri.nz  http://katipo.niwa.cri.nz/~hadfield