I come to praise .join, not to bury it...

John W. Baxter jwbnews at scandaroon.com
Fri Mar 16 10:29:30 EST 2001

In article <98t5t40lle at news1.newsguy.com>,
 "Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote:

> If you HAD used Perl a lot (and I have) you might well
> go beyond this "very surface" impression.  Basically,
> Python goes a good way towards meeting the principle
> of least astonishment.  A common and delightful experience
> of the Python learner -- you learn about something new
> but don't know the details yet -- you guess at those
> details *and more often than not, you guess right*!

I came to Python (and dragged my company along) by way of a flooded
Tower Books store [Bellevue, WA].  They had a [slightly] water damaged
"Programming Python" on the shelf at something like 60% off as part of
their flood sale.  [The bottoms of most of the pages are still stained
and oddly curled.]

Alex expresses very well above a main part of the reason we converted to
Python from Perl (and became an early corporate member of PSA).

  --John

John W. Baxter   Port Ludlow, WA USA  jwbnews at scandaroon.com