Commercial Products in Python?

James C. Ahlstrom jim at interet.com
Sat Mar 24 10:19:37 EST 2001

Victor Muslin wrote:

> A friend of mine is considering developing a shrink-wrapped commercial
> product. Python seems like a possible choice, but it is not clear
> whether there are any precedents (though probably similar concerns
> apply to a Perl-based product).
>
> I would very much appreciate an advice in this area and possibly
> answers to some of the following questions:
>
> 1. Are there any existing shirnk-wrap commercial products written in
> Python?

We have been shipping our WinLease product with a Python front end for
5 or so years.  It is commercial, but not exactly shrink wrap.  We
have found Python to be bullet proof.

> 3. What is the best way to go about it? Is it better to have customers
> install Python and give them bytecode files or use one of the programs
> that creates an executable?

We ship a pre-made Python executable plus the necessary (not all)
Python library files as a frozen module.  Our own Python
files are in a Python jar file, but this failed to get into
Python so it is a local mod.  Using freeze for your own files
would be an alternative.

> 4. There is an easy shrink-wrap install for Python (at least on
> Windows NT). Are there such on Unix/Linux platforms? (Typically
> customers don't like having to compile software from source).

We use the Wise installation system, and I highly recommend it.
It is not Python specific.

> 5. If the answer to question #1 is "no", why not?
>
> 6. Are there any licensing issues to be aware of?

No!!!  Just read the license.

> Anything else that comes to mind in this direction would be very
> helpful.

Jim Ahlstrom