Jython and JPython Questions...How similar to Python, Tkinter?

Steve Purcell stephen_purcell at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 28 04:45:05 EST 2001

Ron Stephens wrote:
> Does Jython support Tkinter? OK, maybe that question as worded is
> nonsense, let me re-phrase it: If I code a program in Python and put a
> GUI front end on it with Tkinter, how hard would it be to do the same
> program in Jython? Or is there a better solution for Jython GUI's?

There is a better solution: the now-standard Swing java extension.

Personally, I don't see platform-dependent JNI-based packages as a good thing
for Java applications, so I wouldn't suggest jtkinter. (Clever though it
undoubtedly is.)

Now if someone ever comes up with a library that gives Swing/AWT a Python
interface, that would be another story...

-Steve

--
Steve Purcell, Pythangelist
Get testing at http://pyunit.sourceforge.net/