I come to praise .join, not to bury it...

John W. Baxter jwbnews at scandaroon.com
Tue Mar 6 12:39:14 EST 2001

With luck and good will, we ought not have so many of this sort of
discussion after the fact in the future.

We now have the PEP process...and the discussion of the PEP is the right
place for alarms to be raised, both technical ("that fails when...") and
otherwise ("I'd rather see this than that.").

Previously, much of the community* didn't see the developer discussions,
so the changes tended to spring upon us already decided and implemented.
[* I'm overweight enough that even if I'm alone in that, it's still
"much of the community".]

We'll see in the next couple of rounds (post 2.1) how well the above
works out it practice.  Even in Python, the later in the product cycle a
change is made, the more it costs.

   --John

John W. Baxter   Port Ludlow, WA USA  jwbnews at scandaroon.com