Subject with SMTPLIB?

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Wed Mar 14 01:33:07 EST 2001

root <root at mailhost.stg.rt.daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:

>I need to write some mail for my fax-log evaluating script. I'm
>currently using the smtplib to simply send some mails. But how
>can I get (without studying RFCs and papers on SMTP for years)
>a SUBJECT for my mails?

There have already been several replies to this, but I'm not sure they
really explained the root principle here.  This is an important and
non-intuitive point, although perhaps a bit off-topic for this newsgroup.

<enter lecture mode>

smtplib is concerned with SMTP.  That is the protocol for transferring
e-mail messages, described in RFC 821.  SMTP cares only about the
originator and the recipients of your message.  Everything else about the
message, including the body AND all of the headers, is just random text to
SMTP.  None of the e-mail headers you are accustomed to are part of the
protocol at all.  Here is a perfectly valid SMTP session in which I send a
message to myself:

  MAIL FROM: <timr at probo.com>
  RCPT TO: <timr at probo.com>
  DATA