Python 2.1b1 dumps core

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Wed Mar 7 17:18:07 EST 2001

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 06:46:09PM +0000, Dan wrote:

> I have a pure Python based web server app that dumps core when run
> under Python 2.1b1.  It runs fine under Python 2.0.  I can send a core
> dump to someone if that is useful to anyone.  If not then I might be
> able to narrow it down to a certain part of the Python code and post a
> sample that breaks..

I'm pretty sure we'd want to see the traceback of the core in any case. The
corefile itself would be pretty useless unless you happen to run a very
vanilla system of a type that developers have access to -- you need to match
them up with the exact same binaries and libraries and all.

What you can do in any case is provide us with the traceback of the
application. If you are on a system that has 'gdb', or you have a 'dbx' or
something other that does the same job, you can do it with something like
this:

> gdb <python binary> <core>
<copyright information>
#0  0x4009a161 in sigaction () from /lib/libc.so.6
(gdb)

(gdb) bt
#0  0x4009a161 in sigaction () from /lib/libc.so.6
#1  0x4009b5a1 in sigset () from /lib/libc.so.6
#2  0x80b9fdb in unset_signals () at bsd.c:1102
#3  0x80ba2e1 in sighandler (sig=11) at bsd.c:1269
#4  0x4009a098 in sigaction () from /lib/libc.so.6
#5  0xffffffff in ?? ()
Cannot access memory at address 0x30

(This example is from the only corefile I have at hand, which is a useless
one. Yours will hopefully give a proper traceback :) You can send the
traceback to me, if you want, or to a developer you happen to know has the
same system or experience in the area that is breaking Python here. I/we
might need more information too, btw, like the value(s) of some of the
locals in one of the frames or other, so better not delete the corefile yet
:)

Unfortunately, 2/3rds of the python development team and a good portion of
the active non-development community is at the Python conference so you
might have to be patient.

Conferencing-ly y'rs,
--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>