Linux GPS program

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at abnoba.intevation.de
Wed Mar 28 10:04:24 EST 2001

In article <slrn9c1p9t.d3g.jra at dorothy.msas.net>,
	jra at dorothy.msas.net (Jay R. Ashworth) writes:
> This one time, in band camp,
>   Russell Nelson <nelson at crynwr.com> wrote:
>> "Jay R. Ashworth" wrote:

>> > Any plans to do vector map data as well?
>>
>> I'm pretty ignorant here.  What sources of vector information are there,
>> how big is the dataset, and how do I render it so I can use lat/lon or
>> easting/northing to get my location?
>
> There are *stunning* amounts of vector data, all in different formats.

I agree, though most proprietory.

> I'm trying to (get time cleared up to) sort some of that all out even
> as I type.

The shapefile format is used for a couple of things.
Check www.freegis.org for several libraries dealing with it
(and other gps packages, btw).
There is a python wrapper for the shapereading library.

	Bernhard
The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)