Python Programming on Win32 (was: Magnitude of the wx* market (was: Python In A Nutshell - suggestions))

Don Tuttle tuttledon at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 15 13:50:35 EST 2001

"Laura Lewin" <Laura_01 at MailAndNews.com> wrote in message
news:3AB26DAC at MailAndNews.com...
> Hi,
> Sure, we'll take this suggestion into consideration (on expanding wxPython
> coverage) when we publish the next edition of "Python Programming on
Win32".

When do you plan to do that?

And please greatly expand the chapter on system administration!  Better yet,
create an entire book along the lines of Dave Roth's excellent "Win32 Perl
Scripting: The Administrators Handbook". In fact many sections of  "Python
Programming on Win32"  need to be entire books, not just quick intros.

This leads me to a mini rant that has been building for some time now.  I'll
try to contain myself ;-)

Over the last year I've spent several hundred dollars on NON Python books in
order to learn Python.  Or more precisely, what to do with Python.  It's not
that Python can't do it, it's that I don't know how to do it, or for that
matter, that I can do "it".  (I'm finding new "its" everyday.)  And most of
the "How To" books are written for other languages. So I have many books on
VBScript, JScript, WSH, Perl and Batch files. And this is just for Admin
work.  I haven't even started trying to use Python with databases.- Yet- But
I will.  (And then there's that network programming stuff...)

So, all you authors and Publishers out there...Put out more topic specific
Python "How-To" books.  Let's liberate Python from the hands of highly
skilled developers and give it to your average power user! Power to the
Python! <wink>

Don

PS  And don't forget all those pissed off VB programmers that are ripe for
the picking!