Writing PEPs (was Re: Why "from __future__" stinks; a counter-offer)

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Mon Mar 19 01:18:03 EST 2001

I just want to highlight one little bit:

In article <mailman.984975803.9006.python-list at python.org>,
Tim Peters <tim.one at home.com> wrote:
>[Carlos Ribeiro]
>>
>> And unfortunately I dont have the resources to grab the source and
>> actually *do* something about it, this rant aside.
>
>You don't need to be an implementer to write a PEP.

This is something that everyone should be aware of.  For example, I'm
doing the legwork to establish a *process* for creating maintenance
releases (PEP 6), but because I'm not much of a C programmer currently,
I will be doing little of the technical work of making maintenance
releases happen over the short term.  (I'm still going to function as a
cheerleader.)

What's needed for writing a PEP is the ability to think somewhat
logically within the Python framework, the ability to write clearly, and
the ability to listen to comments from other people and incorporate them
into the PEP.  There are lots of excellent coders in the Python
community: give them a clear spec and a solid goal, and chances are
pretty good one of them will jump on the idea.

Androgynous poly kinky vanilla queer het Pythonista   http://www.rahul.net/aahz/
Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

There's a difference between a person who gets shit zie doesn't deserve
and a person who gets more shit than zie deserves.  --Aahz