Collection interfaces

Randy A. Ynchausti mickeyz at qwest.net
Mon Mar 5 01:20:30 EST 2001

Topmind,

> > Please implement code (from scratch) for the following:
> >
> > Floating Point Numerical Precision
> >     default precision
> >     radix
> >     machine precision
> >     negative machine precision
> >     smallest number
> >     largest number
> > Solve Polynomials
> > Solve Error Function
> > Solve Gamma Function
> > Solve Beta Function
> > Bulirsch-Stoer interpolation algorithm
> > Newton interpolation algorithm
> > Spline interpolation algorithm
> > Langrange interpolation algorithm
> > Neville interpolation algorithm
> >

> Not exactly "typical custom business applications", the domain
> in which I focus most of my whining.

hum...  me thinks I have been had by vain rantings.

These algorithms/functions are very applicable to reasonable business
systems including forcasting involving manufacturing and production.  For
example, if a company does most of its business during the six weeks prior
to Christmas, an analysis of manufacturing products and inventory that can
be sold during that period without spoiling is critical, etc.  These
algothrims/functions and many others can be used to perform some of the
analysis of sales and production data for managers who need to know product
demand, sales, etc., and provide intelligence on how to direct the company's
manufacturing and production schedules.

> The percentage of OO fans in the business domain seems lower
> than average. Perhaps this says something about OO and
> the business domain.

This is fiction -- not fact.

> > Please keep track of the number of minutes you spend working on this.
> > Please keep track of the number of defects that you find and fix during
your
> > work.  I mean, any thing that does not work the first time and be sure
> > count each problem the compiler tells you about too.
>
> And if we use an interpreter?

If you use an interpreter, then record the defects that the interpreter
tells you about too!

> > Please keep track of
> > the number of statements of code you add, remove, and change during this
> > work.  If you supply me with these data and the code I will test the
> > accuracy of your solutions and compare your code with some OO code and
post
> > my findings (as my spare time allows) for the entire newsgroup(s) to
see.

I am waiting for your code and data!

Randy