gah! I hate the new string syntax

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 9 17:47:53 EST 2001

"François Granger" <francois.granger at free.fr> wrote in message
news:1eq0wih.1s0r5163x0lfkN%francois.granger at free.fr...
    [snip]
> There are a lot of french citizen wich are descendant from italian. At

Not a new development either -- there's a continuity between
(notice the Italian surnames of French icons!-) Mazarino, Bonaparte,
Gambetta, Platini...:-).  [With any luck, one day my descendants
will be able to give a similar list of Albanian-surnamed Italian
greats...!-)].

> > -- few are aware, for example,
> > that such an icon of French popular culture as Yves Montand was
> > Italian -- real name Ivo Livi, born of just-as-Italian parents
    [snip]
> And lots of french people are really proud of Yves Montant, knowing or
> not his origin as Ivo Livi.

(And, joking aside, who could blame them -- besides being a
great singer and actor, he was a _true_ human being... his being
buried right next to his wife of many decades, such a rare event
in the show-business world, being a typical symptom...).

Alex