Can Python replace Visual Basic? Should it?

Brad Bollenbach bbollenbach at homenospam.com
Tue Mar 6 11:40:31 EST 2001

"Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:98266k0p5h at news1.newsguy.com...
> "Brad Bollenbach" <bbollenbach at homenospam.com> wrote in message
> news:5DZo6.11126$hn5.1578410 at news1.rdc1.mb.home.com...
> > Again, I'm much more interested in the real world experience of those
who
> > used to use the big visual development tools in Windows like VB, Delphi
or
> > Powerbuilder rather than theoretical answers.
>
> Why do you focus on 'used to use'?  One may perfectly well keep using
> some VB (&c) for tasks it's particularly well-suited to, while using
> Python wherever feasible (and, indeed, using both in the same project

Certainly. And for all intents and purposes "used to use" isn't necessary,
but the question happened to be directed (as its subject suggests) at those
who _have_ replaced VB with Python. :)

But realistically, I just wanted to emphasize my interest in hearing answers
from those who have or currently are using VB or one of the other Win32
visual development tools. Personally, I'm a former VB programmer now working
in Powerbuilder and am unhappy with both, again based on my dislike of IDE's
that obscure the programmer's view of what's going on.

I could explain _why_ I don't like the 40,000 foot views of IDE's, but
that's another thread.

Brad