newbie IDLE, Tkinter

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Tue Mar 27 23:39:02 EST 2001

"Randy Hawley" <Hawley_Randall_R at Lilly.com> wrote in message
news:01c0b6e2$3d426740$4ecb0c28 at PC0AB085S5A8...
> Howdy Python Gurus.
>
> I too am a newbie trying out Python on Win32 platforms.
>
> I have the same problems as Nick describes below.  Also, somethimes when
> I hit a button that has "command=root.quit" defined as its action, not
only
> does my program's window quit, but so does IDLE.
>
> What gives with this?  Anybody else ever run into this?  Is it a result of
> poor coding in my script (saw it when I just ran the examples from the
> Tkinter tutorial, too) ?
>
> Thanks,
> Randy Hawley
>
> Nick Perkins <nperkins7 at home.com> wrote in article
> <FHUu6.68719$A6.14534907 at news4.rdc1.on.home.com>...
[ ... similar problems ... ]

The difficulty you are experiencing is to do with IDLE being a Tkinter
application itself, I suspect. I normally run Tkinter-based programs from a
command window to avoid the unpredictable interactions you describe. I guess
one day IDLE may be able to run programs as a separate process.

regards
 Steve