supporting asyncronous messages

Joshua Spoerri josh at pobox.com
Mon Mar 5 06:46:37 EST 2001

I'm designing a workflow server,
and want to use python for process descriptions,
using just a few additional messaging objects.

I want to block on receiving messages, but only
on those messages that will affect the program execution.

for example:
	a = wfmessage()
	b = wfmessage()
	a.send()
	b.send()
	if a.getResponse() || b.getResponse():
	whatever

If b.getResponse() is already available and true,
but a.getReponse() is blocking, the program shouldn't
wait for it. (Yes, this does funny things to
shortcircuiting order.)

Is there a sane way to support this behaviour without
hacking up the compiler? Is it bad news for other
reasons?

(Please cc me, since i'm not subscribed.)

Thanks much,
Joshua Spoerri