Why "from __future__" stinks; a counter-offer

Remco Gerlich scarblac at pino.selwerd.nl
Mon Mar 19 20:00:50 EST 2001

Joshua Marshall <jmarshal at mathworks.com> wrote in comp.lang.python:
> As responses to suggestions, there's a lot of "write up a PEP or it
> won't get implemented" going around.  I can understand this, but it's
> also important that good ideas don't go to waste just because the
> proposer _didn't_ write a PEP.

If it's such a great idea, *someone* will care enough to write a PEP for it.
If noone can be bothered to do even that, then maybe it's not that important
after all. It's not as if writing a PEP is weeks of work...

> I guess I just hope that the PEP-mechanism doesn't make it so that
> good proposals get overlooked in favor of proposals with enthusiastic
> proponents.

Maybe the PEP process is good at weeding out the endless Usenet advocacy
from the important stuff...

(disclaimer: when I give my opinion in most of these discussions it's
definitely in the Usenet advocacy section... But maybe one day I will think
something is really important and then I will write a PEP)

--
Remco Gerlich