[ANNOUNCE] Webware for Python 0.5

Chuck Esterbrook echuck at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 1 21:03:13 EST 2001

"Don Tuttle" <tuttledon at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:<fFCn6.13480$Z8.1902263 at typhoon.southeast.rr.com>...
>"Chuck Esterbrook"
> >    * Python Server Pages (PSP, similar to ASP, PHP and JSP)
>I 'm trying to get a handle on why I would want to use PSP on WinNt with
>IIS.  What's the difference/advantage to using PSP compared to using ASP
>with embedded Python script?
>Don

[1] Webware's PSP offers more syntax options than ASP. If I remember
correctly, using Python in ASP involves some funkiness because of the clash
between Pythonic indentation and HTML. I don't remember the details, but
I'm positive they are chronicled in the archives of c.l.p.

PSP also allows you to inherit one or more base classes which can be good
for reusing code. I don't know if ASP lets you do that or not.

In any case, if you check the docs for PSP, you can see what various
options you have compared to ASP:

http://webware.sourceforge.net/Webware/PSP/Docs/

[2] Webware's PSP sits on top of WebKit, which means that when you use it,
you can also create plain old Python servlets. You can also make your own
"servlet factories". For example, you can write a handler that serves up
*.sql, *.mytemplate, etc. There are also other components you can use with
WebKit such as UserKit, MiddleKit, etc.  Of course, that doesn't matter if
you're not interested in these options, although using Webware puts you in
a position to use them any time later.

[3] A colleague of mine has had "caching" problems in ASP regarding out of
date code residing in memory despite file modifications and reload()s. I
can't say I know the details, and I won't say that you are guaranteed to
suffer this if you use ASP+Python.

Hope that helps. More details might be available from people who have
extensively used both.

-Chuck