Newbie needs help to find bug in his first Perl program

Ron Stephens rdsteph at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 25 11:59:46 EST 2001

Ok, I am a total newbie. I took some programming course in college, did
some relatively simple programs in Fortran, Basic, PL/1 and even one in
assembler for an old IBM "mainframe" using punched cards. But that was
along time ago.

OK, I have just fallen head over heels in love with Python. Wrote my
first little "program", about 200 lines of a thing to do simple
"Decision Analysis" in a general sort of way, to take input from an
"expert" in any given (simple) field, and set up criteria based on the
experts experience, then calculate a weighted average to decide which
option to choose.

I find the debugging to be extraordinarily good, but I have one bug I
cant seem to figure out yet. Been up all night its noon of the next day
;-))) Need some sleep

The offending line of code is

sixtwo = raw_input ("where does %s rank for %y ?" % (option6,
criteria2))

Can anyone see what is wrong with this? I have several lines like this
and they all give me error messages.

Sorry for the trivial newbie nature of my question and first post ;-)))

But I do luv Python....