Some simply python/Tkinter problems

Julie Torborg jtorborg at nd.edu
Thu Mar 8 12:23:58 EST 2001

I'm a relatively new user of Python, trying to make some GUIs using
Tkinter.  Postings on this newsgroup have been quite helpful, but there
are still some things I can't find information on:

1.  I'd like to be able to put a working "print" command into my GUI, so
that I can print what is displayed on-screen.  I'm wondering if this is
even possible using Tkinter, since there seems to be no info on it at
all.  (p.s. Versatility is nice, but all I really need is to print to a
postscript printer.)

2. This GUI pops up multiple windows, and I'd like to be able to close
them individually.  All the Python books put a "close" option in their
menu, but none of them have a working callback other than
"sys.exit(0)"--but I don't want to exit the whole system, just the
Toplevel.  I've tried using destroy(), but my process is iterative, so
some windows have the same name and only the last called can be
destroyed (I've tried indexing the window names and passing the window
name as an argument, but these don't seem to work).

3. I'd like to organize my modules into different folders (I'm running
on Windows 98), but my scripts can only "see" modules in the same folder
as Python.exe.

If anybody has any solutions, or even where to look for them, yell.