Good GUI for Python

Lyle Johnson johnson2 at hiwaay.net
Sun Mar 25 22:54:15 EST 2001

> What are the licensing issues referred to below on pyQT?

Here is a link to one of TrollTech's FAQ pages concerning the licensing of
Qt:

    http://www.trolltech.com/developer/faq/simple.html

To summarize, there is a free edition of Qt for Unix/X11 only, which can be
used for developing free software. Because this free edition is covered by
the GPL it cannot be used to developed closed-source or commercial software.
Note that if you're just an end-user of the software (including, for
example, the KDE) you can use Qt free edition with no worries.

There is no free edition of Qt for Windows at this time. Furthermore, if you
want to develop closed-source or commercial software (regardless of the
target platform) you must purchase developer licenses for either the
Professional or Enterprise editions of Qt; it appears that these developer
licenses start out at around $1500 per developer, with discounts if you buy
multiple licenses. There are no runtime royalties; you just pay for the
developer licenses.

So this puts Qt at a bit of a disadvantage (with regards to other, "freer",
GUIs like GTK, wxWindows and FOX) if you want to develop free software for
both Unix and Windows.

I do not speak for Trolltech and have not had any business dealings with
them; I'm just trying to summarize what I think I'm reading on their web
site (http://www.trolltech.com). Apologies in advance if I have
misrepresented anything there.

Hope this helps,

Lyle