Can Python replace Visual Basic? Should it?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at abnoba.intevation.de
Tue Mar 6 08:55:49 EST 2001

In article <5DZo6.11126$hn5.1578410 at news1.rdc1.mb.home.com>,
	"Brad Bollenbach" <bbollenbach at homenospam.com> writes:

>     Can Python replace Visual Basic? Should it?

Yes. Yes.

> As far as I can see, they both seem close to equal in their not-so-simple
> ways of distributing apps to end-users, which VB programmers have seem to
> overcome to some degree and so Python programmers should and probably do
> likewise.

Did you see the nice windows installers you can make with innosetup?
Checkout out cowTipper for an example:
	http://bluesine.com/archives/software/cowTipper/

The main advantage for python over VB is that python is free software.

> What I want is a programming language that can make Windows fun
> (like C or Perl does Unix), without having to shell out the big bucks for
> full installs of VB or VC++.

Well python worked for me.. :)

> But really, very specifically, were YOU a former Visual Basic (or
> Powerbuilder, or Delphi) programmer that is now using Python to write the
> complex GUI's VB used to handle for you?

No. I gave up on MS products a long time ago.
But I had to control SPSS under Windows and I had a look at
documentation I could get and it was fun to do it with python in the end.

For GUIs you can use wxpython which gives you a native look and feel
under MS windows.

	Bernhard
The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)