Pickling arbitrary character strings on Windows

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Tue Mar 6 12:38:19 EST 2001

"Nicholas K. Sauter" wrote:

> It would be good to be able to pickle strings containing arbitrary
> ASCII
> characters, for example to encode data at the C level.  But on Windows
> it is impossible to do a binary unpickle of a string that has an
> embedded ASCII 26 (octal 032).

Under Windows, when you see anything like this, or start to see bizarre
games with end-of-line sequences, it means you have the files open in
the wrong mode.  You want the files open (for both reading and writing)
in binary mode, not text.

/  \ I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.
\__/ J. Robert Oppenheimer (quoting Hindu legend)
    Kepler's laws / http://www.alcyone.com/max/physics/kepler/
 A proof of Kepler's laws.