Python ready to replace perl (was Re: Install Python on Apache)

Moshe Zadka moshez at zadka.site.co.il
Mon Mar 26 05:54:43 EST 2001

On 26 Mar 2001, Fritz Heinrichmeyer <fritz.heinrichmeyer at fernuni-hagen.de> wrote:
> So i consider using python in the future.

I am fluent in both, and I think you're making the right decision.

> For this python has to have
>
> 1. sql-interface like dbi, at least for postgres (i think this exists).

db-api, with two postgresql implementations available.

> 2. interface to openldap

Exists. I can't remember offhand where to download this...

> 3. mod_perl beeing able to program authentification procedures using
>    1. and 2. for apache and beeing able to program arbitrary URL-redirect
>    procedures.

Err....mod_perl doesn't support Python last I checked.
You can do this in mod_snake, AFAIK.

> 4. a template system beeing able to manage multiple language versions
>    (to replace the perlish WML-System)?.
>
> Are there solutions apart from using zope?

These days you can't throw a rock without hitting a Python templating
framework. Note you can rip out DTML from Zope and use it in your
Python scripts, or you can use PyML (http://www.pyml.org) or
Quixote or WebWare and couple more I'm not aware about.
Note that in Python, the solution "write your own" is not as idiotic
as it sounds (see all the available alternatives!). With stuff
like sgmllib it's easy to embed Python in HTML, and with stuff
like the compiler package it's possible to embed HTML in Python.
You can also go in a more xmlish direction with stuff like ZPT,
but I'm not sure how finished it is.

--
"I'll be ex-DPL soon anyway so I'm        |LUKE: Is Perl better than Python?
looking for someplace else to grab power."|YODA: No...no... no. Quicker,