CfP: Babel01 Workshop on Multi-Language Infrastructure and Interoperability

Fergus Henderson fjh at cs.mu.oz.au
Mon Mar 26 20:44:16 EST 2001

whisper at oz.net (Dave LeBlanc) writes:

>Gotta wonder why Microsoft is asking for papers to be submitted in a
>format it doesn't support.

"Microsoft" is not asking anything.  This is an academic workshop, not
a Microsoft workshop.  Two of the programme committee members, in
particular the organizer and the chair, are researchers who happen to
work at Microsoft Research in Cambridge.  But none of the other
programme committee members are Microsoft employees.  The "Call for
Papers" was posted on behalf of the whole programme committee.

>I bet this ends up all C-sharpish.

The intent of the workshop is to focus on language interoperability,
not on any single language or platform.  Papers will be judged on their
academic merit.

The content of the workshop will depend on what papers get submitted.
But we strongly encourage submissions on *all* areas that relate to
multi-language infrastructure and/or interoperability.  If you have
done something interesting with regard to that in the context of
a non-Microsoft-related language and/or platform, e.g. Linux, the GNU
compiler collection, Java, ANDF, etc., then please submit it!

In summary, the program committee is very strongly committed to
adhering to the highest academic standards, particularly with
regard to integrity and fairness in the peer review process.
We will do all that we can to avoid bias or the perception of bias.
The programme committee includes many reputable academics who
have considerable experience in organizing conferences and workshops.
BABEL'01 is the first in what we hope will be an ongoing series of
workshops/conferences devoted to language interoperability.
We will do our best to ensure that BABEL'01 upholds the highest
academic standards and forms the foundation of a reputable series
of refereed academic workshops/conferences.

                                    |  of excellence is a lethal habit"

P.S.  To ensure full transparency, I must point out that the research
group that I work in at the University of Melbourne has received
substantial funding from Microsoft.  However, this has not affected
my loyalties (at least in so far as I am conscious of them).
I remain a vocal advocate of the things I believe in, such as the
importance of academic integrity, and I am not afraid to publically
criticize those who fund us if criticism is due.