installing 2.x over the top of 1.5.2

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Mar 19 00:55:31 EST 2001

On Sat, Mar 17, 2001 at 12:39:50PM -0800, Timothy Grant wrote:
>My problem is that upgrading an RH6.2 box by using the 2.x rpms
>now means that there are two versions of Python installed on my
>box, and any extra modules I have installed have to be copied

If you're using the SRPMs I put up, you may prefer to change the
.spec file to comment out the "%define binsuffix 2" line, so
that it builds an executable called "python" (instead of "python2"),
in which case it can't be installed along-side the 1.5.2 release.

So far I haven't heard any opinions on this.  I built them that
way so that I could install 2.0 and 2.1 and test them out, without
having to break any existing code.  I did make them easy to
build either way though.

Sean
--
 One person's data is another person's program.
                 -- Guy L. Steele, Jr.