Can anyone recomend a good intoduction to C...

Michael Hudson mwh21 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Mar 6 13:19:33 EST 2001

"Werner Schiendl" <ws-news at gmx.at> writes:

> Hi Laura,
>
> The only reason I can imagine at this point to go with plain C is that there
> are a lot more platforms that support C than do support C++. This is mainly
> a topic in embedded development and realtime platforms.
[...]
> Did I miss an important point?

Sprinkle IMHO's throughout what follows.

Yes, you're missing the fact that C++ sucks large rocks through very
small straws.  There's some merit in learning C for when low-levelness
is wanted, eg. when developing Python.  If you're writing an
application, then you might think that C++ would be a good language to
use.  You'd be wrong (FWIW, you'd be wrong to use C here, too).  Use a
sane programming language like Python or Common Lisp (and if you use
Python, then you can write portions in C - but leave the application
logic out of it!).

One of my more recent additions to my sig collection is:

  C++ is a siren song.  It *looks* like a HLL in which you ought to
  be able to write an application, but it really isn't.
                                       -- Alain Picard, comp.lang.lisp

I hope everyone noticed the:

Sprinkle IMHO's throughout what follows.

at the top of this article.  My feelings for C++ oscillate between
mild dislike and outright searing hatred - and I have programmed in
it, I've formed my opinion on experience, and I think it sucks.  You
may have a different opinion, but this is mine.

Cheers,
M.

--
  There's a difference between random people with stripy jumpers, and
  a respected scientist with a reputation.