The most important modules

Tim Rowe digitig at cix.co.uk
Wed Mar 21 17:02:00 EST 2001

In article <Pine.GSO.4.21.0103191732210.22234-100000 at laplace>,
mrq at for.mat.bham.ac.uk (Martyn Quick) wrote:

> I've seen a few comments along the lines of "When you are a newbie it
> will
> take a while to realize which the important modules are."  As someone
> who
> is in the middle of wading through Chapter 3 of the Library Reference,
> it
> would be very helpful to know which ones are particularly worth
> noting.  (Presumably  sys, (c)Pickle and shelve, from the ones I've so
> far
> in the chapter - but what other treats are out there for me?)

<snip>

For me it's been:

sys
xml.parsers.expat
string

But that probably just reflects the fact that I've been doing a fair bit
with command line utilities (using sys.argv, sys.stdin, sys.stdout and
sys.stderr) that use XML! As somebody else said, it depends on what
/you're/ doing.