long int behaviour

Timothy Grant tjg at exceptionalminds.com
Thu Mar 1 11:27:31 EST 2001

Thanks Tim,

Yours is the second excellent explanation of what's going on
and I appreciate it very much. I don't necessarily believe that
ints are 32 bits long, however, IP addresses definitely are,
and IP addressing has been my first need to play with longs,
hence the 32 bitedness of my question.

All of my math was working out correctly regardless of the
representation I was seeing, it was just that when it came to
debugging in my head it was much easier to do when I saw what I
expected to see.