Installing python on a virtual server account.

Gerhard Häring gerhard.nospam at bigfoot.de
Sat Mar 24 00:46:03 EST 2001

Lloyd Sommerer wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am at a bit of a lose.  I've been using python for about a month to
> write scripts to handle CGI type things on a website.  My hosting
> company has python 1.5.1 installed and says they will not be upgrading
> (what they actually said was, "We are removing all references to Python
> from our website and are offically no longer supporting it. When we
> tried to upgrade to the newest version, it failed.").  They are leaving
> 1.5.1 in place, but I would prefer to use the current version for my
> next project.  I would rather not switch hosting companies.
>
> Does anyone have experience installing 2.0 in a shared hosting
> situation?  Even telling me that I can't do it and that I should give up
> would  be helpful at this point.
>
> I am on a SunOS 5.7 machine.  Both configure and make seem to run okay.
> Make install dies with the message attached at the bottom of this
> message.  I'm assuming that is because I don't have the needed
> permission.
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> Lloyd Sommerer

> gcc   python.o \
>           ../libpython2.0.a -ldb  -lpthread -lsocket -lnsl -ldl
> -lthread -lm  -
> o python
> Py_Main                             python.o
> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to python
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `link'
> Current working directory /home/gatheri/python/Modules
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `python'

Hmm, this looks like there is a problem building Python. If I am not
mistaken, it fails *not* in the install stage, but when linking the
Python executable. Yesterday, I have built a Python 2.0 on Solaris 7, so
you might try my build. It's available at
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=16151 It's
definitely possible to install your own Python interpreter. I have done
this twice. My first try would be to just unpack my archive in say
$HOME/opt/python. Then test in a shell if it works at all. Then try a
cgi script that calls the interpreter. The first line might look like
this:

#!/home/gatheri/opt/python/bin/python
# ...

If the webserver runs CGI scripts under a different uid, like a user
nobody's, you will have to make $HOME/opt/python readable and executable
by world.

Hope this helps a little. If it doesn't work out, just ask again (with
detailed error messages).

Gerhard
--
Sorry for the fake email, please use the real one below to reply.
contact: g e r h a r d @ b i g f o o t . d e