[Python-Dev] Re: Bug fix releases

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Sat Mar 3 14:30:13 EST 2001

Guido van Rossum writes:
 > I wonder, does that extend to new library modules?  Is there also
 > resistance against the growth there?  I don't think so -- if anything,
 > people are clamoring for more stuff to become standard (while at the

  There is still the issue of name clashes; introducing a new module
in the top-level namespace introduces a potential conflict with
someone's application-specific modules.  This is a good reason for us
to get the standard library packagized sooner rather than later
(although this would have to be part of a "feature" release;).

 > Wait a minute!  Now you're making it too complicated.  Betas of bugfix
 > releases?  That seems to defeat the purpose.  What kind of

  Betas of the bugfix releases are important -- portability testing is
fairly difficult to do when all we have are Windows and Linux/x86
boxes.  There's definately a need for at least one beta.  We probably
don't need to lengthy, multi-phase alpha/alpha/beta/beta/candidate
cycle we're using for feature releases now.

 > It's not too late, as I mentioned.  We'll also do this for 2.1.

  Managing the bugfix releases would also be an excellent task for
someone who's expecting to use the bugfix releases more than the
feature releases -- the mentality has to be right for the task.  I
know I'm much more of a "features" person, and would have a hard time
not crossing the line if it were up to me what went into a bugfix
release.

 > BTW, See you at the conference!

  If we don't get snowed in!

  -Fred