urllib.urlopen and proxies

Paul Moore paul.moore at uk.origin-it.com
Wed Mar 7 06:10:16 EST 2001

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001 19:05:35 +0100 , Siggy Brentrup <bsb at winnegan.de>
wrote:

>The authinfo stuff is for remote sites requiring authentication, as
>long as you visit unprotected sites only you can ignore it.
>
>Modify the docstring example as follows:
>
>--------
[...]
>--------
>
>Proxy authorization still untested, please report if it works.

Unfortunately, it still fails, with a traceback

>>> f = urllib2.urlopen('http://www.python.org/')
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "c:\applications\python\lib\urllib2.py", line 137, in urlopen
    return _opener.open(url, data)
  File "c:\applications\python\lib\urllib2.py", line 325, in open
    '_open', req)
  File "c:\applications\python\lib\urllib2.py", line 304, in
_call_chain
    result = func(*args)
  File "c:\applications\python\lib\urllib2.py", line 747, in http_open
    raise URLError(err)
urllib2.URLError: <urlopen error host not found>

I'll see if I can understand what is going on when I get a chance, but
I don't know how far I'll get...

Paul.