How to increase PythonWin v2.0: COM browser limits?

Twan van der Schoot twanvds at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 19 06:22:03 EST 2001

I'm trying to use the COM Browser in Pythonwin version 2.0.  But I run into
limitations of some kind.  As a Python newby I dutifully scanned FAQs and
newsgroups, but alas!

To reproduce the problem: On a heavily used NT 4.0 system with a lot of
registered COM stuff, start Pythonwin version 2.0 go to the menu entry: COM
Browser to start the COM browser and expand the "Registered Categories"
branch in the tree view.

Pythonwin shows in the interactive window a backtrace on an exception.  The
culprit raising this exception was the response:

File "D:\Python20\win32com\client\util.py", line 53, in __GetIndex
    result = self._oleobj_.Next(1)
pywintypes.com_error: (-2147024882, 'Not enough storage is available to
complete this operation.', None, None)
win32ui: Exception in OnNotify() handler

Something suggests that the number of registered objects is too large for
the COM browser.  As I've -of course- the sources available, I was wonder if
there is some parameter which I can increase to solve the problem.  Or am I
running into limitations of the treeview control of MS Windows?

TIA

Twan van der Schoot
twanvds at NOSPAM.xs4all.nl