Can anyone recomend a good intoduction to C...

Werner Schiendl ws-news at gmx.at
Wed Mar 7 04:49:59 EST 2001

> I don't think C deserves all the superlatives you apply to it, but I agree
that
> it's instructive to study C++ as an example of a language that gets it
wrong.
> Take a good language, C; add some good ideas; and end up with a
> baroque mess. Fascinating.

To be completely honest, I can not see the obvius reason why C++ should be
such a bad programming language.
It is widely available (on almost any platform, I would guess).

It supports for a real large number of different design approaches.
I do not know of any one more flexible language at all, combined with the
performance of the executables and the quality of syntax check while
compiling.

It maybe somewhat overwhelming when you try to master all the features in
one shot.
It is of course nonsense to use any existing feature in a little toy proggy.
Compare it to using regular expression to split up a comma separated list in
python, its the same I think.
But I love the features to be in the box so that I can take them out right
when the need arises.

regards
werner