Know of Substantial Apps Written in Python?

Moshe Zadka moshez at zadka.site.co.il
Sat Mar 31 16:03:15 EST 2001

On Sat, 31 Mar 2001, "John J. Lee" <phrxy at csv.warwick.ac.uk> wrote:

> This reminds me: why aren't the Redhat (or any other linux / unix vendor)
> boot scripts in Python, too?  Whenever I've made small changes to them,
> I've wished they were!  I have seen it stated that 'obviously' boot
> scripts can't be in Python, but nobody has explained to me why this is.
> How much bigger is a minimal Python interpreter than bash?

Much bigger considering that "minimal" is worthless -- without Python's
batteries, Python wouldn't be the same. What I wonder is why nobody
writes a system in which the boot levels are arranged so *most* functionality
can be used in *most* boot scripts.

> I'm doubtful that there are any advantages to shell, even for short
> scripts.

If the scripts are well written, they can run under shells much smaller
then bash, like ash for example.
Python would never fit on a floppy.
--
"I'll be ex-DPL soon anyway so I'm        |LUKE: Is Perl better than Python?
looking for someplace else to grab power."|YODA: No...no... no. Quicker,