Can I capture console output from an os.system() call?

Brian Geddes brian.j.geddes at intel.com
Fri Mar 2 17:46:05 EST 2001

All -

When I call a foreign program using an os.system("program.exe") call, is
possible to get at the console output of "program.exe" from my python
script?

Just in case I'm not being entirely clear: (I'm pretty brain-fried at the
moment!)

If "program.exe" spits out a message "Hello World!" to the screen when run
from the DOS command line, and I call 'os.system("program.exe")' as a line
of my Python script, how do I get at the "Hello World!" message?

Thanks,
-Brian