Jython is cool?

D-Man dsh8290 at rit.edu
Fri Mar 23 17:22:02 EST 2001

On Thu, Mar 22, 2001 at 10:39:54AM -0500, Michael Bacarella wrote:

| 	When I first read about Jython, what immediately popped
| into my head was that you get a Python interpreter written in Java
| that you can say, embedd in a web page and pass a parameter which says
| which python script to execute.
|

| 	I find myself frustrated by Java which is why the thought of
| doing web applets in Python was so exciting. Unfortunately, it seems
| that in downloading Jython, a JDK is still required.

The jdk requirement isn't a problem.  Any of the web browsers you
would target with an applet has a jdk (actually, jre -- just the
runtime and libraries, no compiler) already in it.  Use the jythonc
script to build a jar file from your Python sources and embed it in a
web page just like you would a java applet.

-D